Friday, October 17, 2008

A Card For Vicki

It's time to Stamp Simply! This weeks challenge comes to us from one of the blog candy winners during Sharon's anniversary party...the fabulous Heather Telford! What's the challenge you ask? You must design a card without using image stamps! What? Seriously! AWESOME challenge Heather!

Well seeing as it's October...and that is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I am making one for my best friend Vicki. Vicki was a friend of mine from flying...oh so many moons ago...who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, she lost her battle. Her courageous struggle was truly an inspiration. When I think of her I only remember the laughter. Hanging out with her in her hospital room while she was getting chemo and she would be making me laugh! Such a positive attitude and just such a bright light that was truly cut to short. I miss my friend but am so thankful for her memory and for the lasting impression it has had on me. When I was diagnosed with cancer almost 9 years after her death, her spirit came to mind...her strength and her courage. She truly helped me through it without even being here.

Here's my card...

Sorry...I heard a song today that totally reminded me of her. Want to know what it was??? 'Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight'! Can you guys hear it? Do you know what I am talking about? There was a commercial that had that song in it...a beer commercial! Vicki used to run around singing it and doing the dance...it cracked her up...which of course would always crack me up....I can't hear that song without thinking of her. I wish you all could have known her. You would definitely have loved her!

Another friend helped with the sentiment...Ashley from over at Heart Hugs Designs...I had the hardest time trying to decide which one to use! ...so I asked all the hip hoppers late last night! All of their suggestions were perfect...some super funny!....but this one fit. It's from Unity's September KOTM. The 'ribbon' is actually about 1/2" strip of card stock that I covered with glue and glitter and then stuck together with a rhinestone brad.

Be sure and check out the rest of Sharon's team....

Check out Heather Telford’s sample here.
Check out Darlene Pavlick’s sample here.
Check out Julie Koerber’s sample here.
Check out Dee Jackson’s sample here.
Check out Janine Orchard’s sample here.
Check out Tammy Hershberger’s sample here.
Check out Becky Oehlers’ sample here.

...and if it's time...schedule a mammogram....I've got one on the books coming up! YUCK! ...but necessary!

Have a wonderful day! I will post you all soon!







17 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

Beautiful card Jennifer, especially knowing the story behind it.

Joan Fricker said...

Jennifer, what great memories you have of your friend. This card is wonderful encouragment and very pretty too!

Joan

Janine said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend Jennifer... Hope all is well with you and that you have a grand weekend.!!!

Darlene said...

OMGosh ... this is PERFECT!! What great memories you have of Vicki and I feel I know her a little just by reading your story!! Thanks for sharing your memories with us!! And, YES ... I had my mammogram earlier this week!! Can you say "ouch"! LOL!!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Jennifer, your ribbon is beautifully made, the card is gorgeous, and your story is so very touching!!! Thank you for sharing that with us -- it helps to put our daily *ordeals* into perspective. Thank you!!! A wonderful sample, as always!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing the story behind the card. Your card is simple and poignant, beautifully done.

The Rubber Maid said...

Perfect card in memory of your dear friend. I'm sure she is smiling down on you. Pat

Julie Koerber said...

Gosh, don't we all have "Vickis" in our lives? Those fabulous spirits that just might explode if they were any more vivacious? Your story was beautiful and - yep- I actually saw her dancing! Great card Jennifer. Simple with some sparkle - who could ask for anything more! ;-)

Melanie said...

what a wonderful card and story...
I didn't know you had cancer. I'm going to be having my first mamogram soon...

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer...this is so nice. I had no idea you had cancer at one point! Wow. Your stories today were so insightful.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer thank you for sharing your story. I lost my MIL 15 years ago this month. My dh and I were discussing how things may have turned out different if she was going through this now instead of 15 years ago. I must tell you though my MIL did find the lump herself but waited to go to the doc and by the time she did she was stage four. This is a reminder not only about early detection but how we must go to the doc the minute we find anything unusual no matter what. Go get your girls checked out and give yourself peace of mind. Take care.

Debbie/Phx AZ

Latisha said...

jenn buck! Beautiful card, so meaningful.

Nancy said...

Beautiful card for a tribute to a friend. I could picture your friend dancing. I start a third round of treatment Tuesday, and my goofy be-bop about song during treatment has been Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself"...hopefully will still have the energy to pull that one off. :)

Ashley Newell said...

Awwww, I love your card! What a wonderful story! I'm so glad you had someone like this in your life, everyone needs a Vicki!

Thanks for mentioning me. Glad I could help!

Lindsay Spencer said...

Very sweet post. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm sure Vicki would say the same wonderful things about you. You must have been such a great friend and support to her.

Anthonette said...

I love your "ribbon"! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing your story. I just made a card for my aunt who has a very rare form of breast cancer. I've been getting mammograms since before I was 40 since I have a strong family history of cancer.

Marilyn Nimmo said...

Love your card Jennifer. I did not know you were a breast cancer survivor. My mom is a survivor as are seven other friends of mine. Unfortunately, the youngest person that I knew who battled breast cancer lost her fight a little over a week ago. Her beautiful spirit is what everyone remembers. Pink is much more than just a color to me! Had a blast at ScrapPink, raising money for a worthy cause. We have got to find a cure!